Welcome to the website of the Icelandic section of IBBY („The International Board of Books for Young People“). Although our nation is small – a little over 300,000 people – we have a very active IBBY section. The board, plus the editorial committee, meets at least once a month in the Writer’s Association of Iceland’s headquarters, kindly provided by the association.
In addition to participation in international IBBY activities (world congress, IBBY Honour List, etc.), we also have an association with the other Nordic countries, including a yearly meeting – rotating around the Nordic countries.
Here are some examples of our domestic activities – but these are only a few of them:
- Sögusteinn, an honour prize to an active Icelandic writer, illustrator or translator, who has made an important contribution to Icelandic children’s literature.
- Vorvindar (Spring Winds), three recognitions awarded each year for a contribution to children’s culture in Iceland, a newcomer to children’s literature, and/or a great contribution to children’s literature
- The publication of Börn og menning (Children and Culture) – the only journal specifically on children’s literature in Iceland. It is published twice a year.
- The publication of a collection of short stories. Three of these have been published so far, two of which center on Nordic mythology.
IBBY á Íslandi
P.O. Box 4103
or by e-mail: ibby(at)ibby.is
- Ingibjörg Ösp Óttarsdóttir, International Relations – ingibjorgosp (at) gmail.com
- Dröfn Vilhjálmsdóttir
- Katrín Lilja Jónsdóttir
- Linda Ólafsdóttir
- Guðrún Elísa Ragnarsdóttir
- Sævar Helgi Bragason
- Ingibjörg Valsdóttir, Editor, bornogmenning (at) gmail.com
- Helga Birgisdóttir
- Magnea J. Matthíasdóttir